Bring your designs to life from concept to reality by developing stylistic approaches, production techniques, digital tools, and the essential skills required for success in today’s fashion design industry. Fashion design can be applied to a variety of industries, including retail, theater, film, textile design, and others. The Otis Extension Fashion Design Certificate Program is representative of the same professional industry standards as Otis’s own Fashion Design Department, a leading educational program nationwide.
After completing the Otis Extension certificate program, you will be prepared to begin a career or enhance your skills in the fashion industry as a fashion designer, assistant designer, or patternmaker. Learn from experienced professionals and artists, connect with a network of creatives, and receive career support, including career counseling, career assessment, internship advising, and employer networking opportunities. Ultimately, you will create a professional-quality portfolio demonstrating conceptual, design, and technical proficiency for entry-level positions in the fashion industry.
What you will learn:
- Art and design fundamentals, including life drawing, composition, and color theory
- Relevant industry terminology, techniques, and best practices
- Crucial sewing, draping, and pattern making skills
- Fashion illustration, with and without a live model, for presentation
- Textile design and utilizing materials for best performance.
- How to design and market a fashion line
- Industry-standard tools, including Illustrator, Photoshop, and more
Prospective Student Resources
- Attend an Info Session for certificate details and a registration discount
- View a course planning document to learn more about course sequence and timelines
- Submit materials to waive a required course
- Chat with us during drop-in hours: Wednesdays from 3:00-4:00 p.m. via Zoom
- Schedule an appointment with an Extension Advisor
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
- Approximate Course Cost: $531*
- Total Number of Courses: 18
- Estimated Total Tuition: $9,560**
*Cost for an online course after certificate tuition discount. Upon submitting the certificate application and fee, students qualify for a 15% tuition discount per course at the time of enrollment.
**Cost after certificate tuition discount. Courses are individually priced. Tuition and course fees are paid at the time of enrollment in each course. Total tuition is not paid in advance or in a lump sum. Additional course fees or materials costs may apply.
Eligibility and Requirements
Students must be 18 years of age to enroll. No portfolio or prior experience is required.
Individuals interested in this certificate program can take up to two courses before committing to the program. Before beginning their third course, students are required to submit a Certificate Program Enrollment Application with a non-refundable $185 application fee.
Students are notified of their certificate application results three times per year according to the following dates:
- Between 12/14/23 - 2/10/24 for Spring 2024 start
- Between 4/11/24 - 6/1/24 for Summer 2024 start
- Between 8/1/24 - 9/21/24 for Fall 2024 start
Click below to apply now!
This program requires two (2) elective courses. Students may select any of the following courses.
Note: Additional elective options may be available. Please consult your certificate advisor for guidance.