Otis College of Art and Design logo


Passport & Visas


Note: Otis international programs require that all students have a valid U.S. Passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months when seeking admission or readmission to a country. If you do not have a passport you must obtain one three weeks prior to your departure date.
Passports: Applying for Them the Easy Way
Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

Expedite your Passport



Some participants may be required to obtain a student visa; others may be able to stay in the host country for the duration of their program as a tourist. The application process for a student visa also varies by country. Depending on the foreign consulate, Otis students will either have to apply for the visa in person, via an online application, or by mailing in all application materials. It is your responsibility to procure your visa prior to departure.

Please note that all International students (F-1 Visa) are required to show proof of a valid U.S. Visa.


F-1 Visa Students Seeking to Travel Overseas

Entry Into Another Country

Before you leave the United States, contact the consulate of the country to be visited to inquire about visa and travel procedures. If you plan to visit Canada, contact the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles to determine if you need a visa to enter Canada.


I-20 Travel Signature

Page 3 of your I-20 must be signed by a Designated School Official in the Registration Office before you leave the U.S. 


Valid Passport

Your passport must be valid for at least six months when seeking admission or readmission to the United States, unless your country has an agreement with the United States. For a list of countries under this agreement, see the list on the Immigration Customs Enforcement website. Your passport should remain valid throughout your stay in the U.S.


Valid Visa

You must present a valid, unexpired visa in the category for which admission is being sought each time you enter the U.S. (Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa requirement; however, landed immigrants of Canada are generally required to obtain a visa.) If your visa expires while you are in the U.S., the next time you travel abroad you must obtain a new visa in the proper category in order to be readmitted to the United States. Apply for the visa in your home country, unless circumstances or travel plans make this impossible. If you apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate in another country, your application may be reviewed more critically than if you applied at home. In-person interviews are required for most visa applicants. You are encouraged to contact the U.S. consulate as early as possible to schedule the visa interview appointment. Anticipate delays in visa issuance due to enhanced security reviews.


Reentry Into the U.S.

Be prepared to present the following materials at the port of entry into the U.S.

  • I-20 and Travel Signature (pg. 3) from a DSO (F-1 students)
  • Passport—valid at least six months into the future
  • Valid F-1 visa stamp in passport


Embassies and Consulates

Depending on your travel destination, your length of stay, and your citizenship, you may be required to obtain a visa for your trip abroad. It usually comes in the form of a stamp, placed in your passport.
To locate foreign embassies in the US, visit: www.embassy.org/embassies/index.html
In Canada, visit: www.allembassies.com/embassies_in_canada.htm
www.travel.state.gov/index.html is a useful website for general information on consular affairs.


For assistance procuring a visa contact:

24 Hour Passport and Visa Services

European Travel
Tel: 818-842-7500818-842-7500

Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype