Commencement takes place once a year at the end of the spring semester. Undergraduate and graduate students must complete all degree requirements by the end of the spring semester to be eligible to participate in Commencement. A student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 at the end of the previous fall semester, as well as a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in the major.
An exception may be made for undergraduate students who will be missing no more than 6 credits by the end of the spring semester. An Application for Inclusion in Commencement must be completed by the student and approved by the Liberal Arts and Sciences department chair, the studio department chair and the Registrar for the student to be eligible to participate in Commencement.
If you completed your degree requirements during the previous fall semester, you are eligible to participate in Commencement. Contact the Office of Registration and Records and the Student Affairs Office for more information.
Participation in Commencement and inclusion in the program does not constitute graduation. Graduation occurs after final grades have been posted and all requirements have been met. Degree requirements and detailed course descriptions are listed in the Course Catalogue.
Questions regarding the actual Commencement Ceremony should be addressed to Student Affairs at (310) 665-6960 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEGREE PLANNING GUIDE
- Transfer credit - Official transcripts and a Request for Course Approval form must be on file in the Office of Registration and Records before transfer credit can be applied. Transfer courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better for undergraduate students and a grade of "B" or better for graduate students. When transfer credit has not been applied, the official transcript and/or the Request for Course Approval signed by the appropriate department chair are missing.
- Course Substitutions - If you took another course at Otis in place of a listed degree requirement, a Request for Course Approval form signed by the appropriate department chair and approved by the Registrar must be on file in the Office of Registration and Records before credit can be applied. When a course substitution has not been applied, the Request for Course Approval form is missing.
Students anticipating graduation must:
- Complete a Petition for Graduation (available in the Registration and Records Office)
- Clear their account with the Student Accounts Office
- Schedule an exit interview with the Financial Aid Office
A final degree audit will be performed to determine that all degree requirements have been completed. The undergraduate student must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 as well as a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in the major. The student's degree will be posted once the final degree audit confirms that all course requirements have been successfully completed, the minimum grade point average requirements have been met, and all necessary student records are on file.
Graduation with honors is earned when an undergraduate student's cumulative grade point average is 3.5 or above. This honor is designated in the commencement program, the academic transcript, and on the diploma.
Make an appointment with your studio and/or liberal arts advisor to discuss any discrepancies and then report any changes to the Office of Registration and Records. Request for Course Approval forms are available in the Office of Registration and Records.