How to Refer a Student for Counseling
Here are some suggestions that may be helpful when referring a student in need of counseling to the Student Counseling Services:
- Speak openly with the student when sharing concerns
- Share the observations which led to your concerns
- Be specific regarding your concerns
- Avoid negative comments
- Encourage expression of thoughts and feelings
- Be sensitive to students thoughts and feelings about counseling
- Emphasize and be respectful of confidentiality
- Respect the student’s decision about utilizing counseling services, except when there is a talk of harm to self or others
- Be encouraging and supportive when helping a student in need of counseling services
- At times it may be essential to share your knowledge of the available resources (family member, Student Counseling Services, chairperson of student’s department, a physician, etc.)
- When the student is ready to use counseling services, let him or her make the call and if the student prefers you can make the call.
- You can call Dr. Fred L. Barnes, the director of Student Counseling Services (See below).
- In case of an emergency you may contact Dr. Barnes at (877) 452-8301, or call 911.
Fred L. Barnes, Ph.D.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Director of Student Counseling Services
Student Counseling Services Hours
Monday - Friday 8:30am-5:00pm (except academic holidays and breaks)
Goldsmith Campus Ahmanson Hall (first floor)