Q. How do I apply for a Green Card (Permanent residency)? You can….
A. Hire an immigration attorney to discuss your options.
Check out the www.uscis.gov website and go to the “Frequently Asked Questions” at http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm.
Q. Does this affect my student status? Well…Yes and no….It is up to you!
A. It depends.
- YES – It will affect your student status if you request us to terminate your F-1 student record. To do this, you must submit:
- A copy of your I-485 or I-130 receipt
- A letter requesting that we terminate your student record, and that you understand the consequences of your student status being terminated.
- NO – It will not affect your student status IF you do not tell us, or IF you do not want to stop being an F-1 student.
What happens if I ask you to discontinue my F-1 student record?
There are several things that you will need to know – and understand.
- A DSO will no longer be able to provide travel signatures (you will have to get information about travel from USCIS); any types of status letters (DMV, bank, government, etc.); work permits (on-campus or off-campus). Any work permits that you need will now have to come directly from USCIS.
- A DSO will no longer be able to advise you on your status. If you have applied for Permanent Residency, then any advice you need must come from USCIS or an immigration attorney.
- You will not be required to study full-time.
- You will not be required to purchase medical insurance (but you should have SOME type of medical insurance, in case you get sick or injured!).
- You will not have to pay $25 SEVIS fee to the campus each semester.
Q. What happens if I decide to keep my student status until my Permanent Residency application has been approved? Well, then…
- .You will have to be a full-time student.
- You will have to purchase medical insurance.
- You will be able to receive on/off-campus work permits if you are eligible.
- You will be able to receive status letters from our office to verify your status.
- You will be able to obtain travel signatures on your I-20 if you are still eligible.
- You will still be eligible for the services ISP provides to all F-1 international students
How do I get my fees removed if I request an F-1 termination? You will need to…
- Request that your fees be removed in the Request to Terminate F-1 Student Status Form.
- Request refunds for fees by completing appropriate Otis forms. (See your DSO.)