Your F-1 student status permits you to work on the campus of the school that issued your current I-20. You must successfully complete one semester with 12 units to before you are eligible to work on campus. While working on campus you are required to maintain your status (except for approved exceptions) and be in good academic standing. Employment must be on the Otis campus or official Offsite Location
F-1 Students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on campus during the fall and spring semester.
F-1 Students may work more than 20 hours per week on campus during school vacations (summer break, spring break and fall break).
Expiration of On-Campus Employment Eligibility
Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:
- When you graduate.
- If you transfer to another College; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date.
- If you violate your F-1 status.
Obtaining On Campus Employment
Contact the Center for Creative Careers for available job opportunities on campus.
- Complete the Student Employment Work Agreement (SEWA) and obtain a Letter of Employment from your hiring supervisor
- Submit the SEWA form and Letter of Employment to the Center for Creative Professions (CCP). Employment start date cannot be more than 30 days in the future. The Employment Letter must be dated within the last 30 days.
- Obtain the Social Security Letter from the Center for Creative Professions Office. Only the Designated School Official at OTIS can write this letter after receipt of the SEWA form and Letter. It certifies that the student is enrolled full time and holds a valid F-1 status
- Bring the following documents to the Social Security Office:
- Original I-20
- Passport with printed I-94 and Visa
- Employment Letter from Employer (F-1)
- Original Social Security Letter from Center for Creative Professions
- Form SS-5 (Social Security Number Application)
- Once a social security number has been issued, On-Campus Employees should bring the following documents to the Center for Creative Professions to complete payroll signup forms.
- SEWA form
- Completed I-9
- SSN Card
- Original passport with U.S. visa